Tuesday, September 2, 2014

Facts about the Film Version of The Autobiography of Miss Jane Pittman


One glance through the Ernest J. Gaines Center's archives reveals the overwhelming popularity and influence of the film version of The Autobiography of Miss Jane Pittman (1974). Scattered throughout the collection are film reviews, letters congratulating Gaines on the film, call sheets, promotional materials, and other items. In this post, I would just like to highlight a couple of items from the collection to show the film's impact in 1974.

In a short documentary on the 30th anniversary of the film, the director John Korty says that after the film debuted white callers inundated radio talk shows saying, "I didn't realize. . . " in regards to the struggles that African Americans went through. Likewise, Odetta, who portrayed Big Laura, essentially voiced why Gaines decided to start writing. She says, "The book is telling me other than what I seen in movies." The film's impact could clearly be seen during the 1974 Emmy Awards where it was nominated for 12 awards and won 9 of them, including the Best Actress award fro Cicely Tyson's portrayal of Miss Jane.

To become Miss Jane, Tyson had to arrive on set at least 4 hours before her scheduled shoot time because it took 4 to 4 1/2 hours to apply the makeup that would transform her into a 110 year old woman. After shooting, Tyson would then have to endure another 2 1/2 hours of makeup removal. The picture above shows the transformation  from a 40 year old woman to a 110 year old. Along with putting on and taking off the makeup, Tyson also studied her role diligently. Korty mentions that she would visit old folk's homes and visit elderly African American women, talking with them and recording their speech. On set, as the older Miss Jane, she would act 110, having people assist her instead of walking normally. All of this led to a performance that brought Miss Jane to life.
While Tyson's preparation breathed life into Miss Jane, there were some notable difference between the film and the novel. One of these was discussed earlier. Another key difference is the ending. The book concludes with Miss Jane heading to Bayonne after Jimmy's death. In contrast, the film concludes with Miss Jane walking to the "Whites's Only" drinking fountain. This scene, as powerful as it is, does not occur in the book. Even when the film debuted in 1974, the scene's impact was almost instantaneous. Arthur Unger, writing in The Christian Science Monitor, called the final moments of the film perhaps "the most effective nine minutes [he has] ever seen in fictional film." Even the title of Unger's article shows the impact of the final scene: "110-year walk to a fountain." What makes this ending so much stronger than the one found in the novel, or does it?  In the novel, Jimmy and the other activists chose a young woman to drink from the "White's Only" fountain. They chose an Hebert girl, a mulatto, "to show the world what the South would do to a nigger-not even half nigger in the girl's case-just because she wanted a drink of water" (246). What are your memories of the film? Which ending do you prefer? As usual, let's discuss this in the comments below. 

Gaines, Ernest J. The Autobiography of Miss Jane Pittman.  New York: Bantam Books, 1972. Print.
Unger, Arthur. "110-year walk to a fountain." The Christian Science Moniter. [Boston, MA] 30 Jan. 1974: F6. Print.


11 comments:

  1. Please share as you read okay you may save a soul today, natural herbs are really great, I was cured from HSV by a doctor called DR Okiti from West Africa, now I believe that natural herbs and roots has their own way of working, based on medical report I was told that HSV has no cure even when I saw a post about Dr Okiti how he cured many people with his herbal medicine I doubted it at first but just decided to give it a try because I was so desperately trying to get rid of my problems not knowing it was going to be the end of this deadly virus in my body, please if you have anyone with this same virus or diseases like this contact Dr Okiti via email drokitiherbalhome100@gmail.com or whatsapp ‪+1 (484) 393‑5484‬. I'm a living testimony of his herbal medicine and don't forget to share as you read okay, please save a soul today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I got diagnose of herpes virus last year, and i was taking some drugs prescribed for me by my family doc the drugs could not work and the herpes in my system was very terrifying that i was so depressed the good news is that i never gave up in searching for natural cure for herpes virus ,cause i believe so much in herbal medication.. One faithful morning i read a comment from a lady called Destiny Hudson on how she was cured with natural herbs made by DR.OYAGU from somewhere is West Africa, i immediately copied out his contact email via oyaguherbalhome@gmail.com and explain all my herpes problem to him via his email. the big truth is that it took just two week for his herbal medication to cure me completely without side affect. Till date am herpes virus free and all thanks to Dr OYAGU for his good deeds for me, Once again am very happy to share this great testimony of DR OYAGU cure hurry up now and contact him via his email address (oyaguherbalhome@gmail.com Call & WhatsApp him on (+2348101755322 ) and see what he can do

    ReplyDelete


  3. Nothing can compare the joy in my heart for being free from this terrible disease Herpes, for a long time i suffer from it not until i saw a review on how Dr Onuwa someone from Herpes. I contact him and bought his herbal medicine, surprisingly for me i was cured.no problem that Dr.ONUWA can’t solve. HIS MAIL ADDRESS____ DRONUWA2@gmail.com or whatsapp +2348115914591 cure and also beware of scams Good Luck He cure listed diseases CANCER HEPATITIS A AND B DIABETIC. HIV


    Dr. ONUWA Also Cures:
    1. HIV/AIDS
    2. HERPES 1/2
    3. CANCER
    4. ALS (Lou Gehrig’s disease)
    5. Hepatitis B
    6. chronic pancreatic
    7. Emphysema
    8. COPD (Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease


    https://dronuwa2.wixsite.com/my-site

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't have time beating around the bush, instead I go straight to the point.... So to you doubters I ain't expecting you all to believe my testimony but only the few chosen ones by God. In a short summary, I'm here to tell the whole world that I recently got cured from my long term herpes disease, both the HSV1 and HSV2 through the assistance of Herbalist doctor Oyagu I pray God continually blesses Dr Oyagu in all he does, because he is indeed a very good, nice and powerful doctor. I’m cured of herpes disease at last! Wow I'm so much in great joy because I've never in my life believed herbs works, but meeting doctor Oyagu was an eye opener and he made me believe that herpes truly got a complete cure. I used the doctor's herbal medicine for just two weeks and I was totally cured from both my HSV1 and HSV2. I'm so excited. For help and assistance in getting rid of your herpes virus you can Call/WhatsApp doctor Oyagu on his telephone number: +2348101755322 or for more inquiries you can as well contact the doctor on EMAIL: oyaguherbalhome@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I’m very excited to inform everyone that I’m completely cured from HSV1&2 recently. I have used Oregano oil, Coconut oil, Acyclovir, Valacyclovir, Famciclovir, and some other products and it’s really help during my outbreaks but I totally got cured from HSV1&2 with a strong and active herbal medicine ordered from a powerful herbalist called Dr Aza and it completely fought the virus away my nervous system and I tested negative after 14 days of using the herbal medicine. I’m here to let everyone know that herpes virus has a complete cure, I got rid of mine with the help of Dr Aza and his herbal exploit. Contact him via email: drazaherbalcenter@gmail.com or WhatsApp him at +1(315)7951518

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey everyone I never believed in herbal cure, & i have spend lot of money and time in trying to get drugs from the hospital/clinic to get cured of my Herpes virus which i suffered from for Two(2) years and i was tired of (  Val acyclovir ) drugs, herpes is a serious and recurring disease which can't be cured through drugs or injections by the American doctors but the best way to deal with herpes is by taking natural herbs medicine for it and is only few American doctors that know about this herbal medicine .. I have read about Dr.Igberafu the great herbalist doctor from Africa who can cure disease with his powerful herbs made with different combinations of natural roots, leaves and steams. for the people suffering from the following diseases, Herpes, Cancer, Als, Hepatitis, Diabetes, HPV, Infertility Infections ETC should contact him for his herbal medicine because I am a living testimony and I was cured of herpes. Although, I sent him what he requested and he sent me his herbal medicine which I took for 2 weeks and today when I went for a test I was tested for herpes negative. you can reach him through his email drigberafucaregiver@gmail.com or whatsapp number: +23470 57881342 / Phone +23470 57881342

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was diagnosed of genital Herpes for 10 years, and ever since then i have been taking treatment to prevent outbreaks, burning and blisters, but there was no improvement until i came across testimonies of Dr. Timothy on how he has been curing different people from different diseases all over the world, then i contacted him. After our conversation he sent me the medicine which i took according to his instructions for up to 20 days. After completing the medication i went back to my doctor for another test and the virus was all gone and i was completely cured, since then i have not had any signs of outbreak. I'm so filled with joy. With herbal medication Herpes Virus is 100% curable. I refer Dr. Timothy to everyone out there with the virus. Email address is goodhealthherbalfoundationATyahoo.com OR web https://5dc41d5b6d60d.site123.me

    ReplyDelete

  9. I have been suffering from Herpes for the past 3 years and 8 months, and ever since then i have been taking series of treatment but there was no improvement until i came across testimonies of Robinson buckler on how he has been curing different people from different diseases all over the world, then i contacted him as well. After our conversation he sent me the medicine which i took according to his instructions. When i was done taking the herbal medicine i went for a medical checkup and to my greatest surprise i was cured from Herpes. My heart is so filled with joy. If you are suffering from Herpes or any other disease you can contact this Email address:_________________________Robinson.buckler@yahoo.com………………. 💯💯💯💯💯

    ReplyDelete
  10. TESTIMONY OF HOW I GOT CURED FROM HERPES SIMPLEX VIRUS This is real take it serious, who will believe that herbs can cure herpes, I never believe it will work, I have spend a lot, getting drugs from the hospital to keep me healthy, but it got to a time when there was nothing left in me again because I was so broke, one day a friend introduce this great man to me on line called DR INIBOKU who is well know for Herpes, HIV, and Cancer cure, I decided to email him but I never thought herbals can cure herpes, though I just wanted to give him a try, he replied my mail and Needed some Information about me, then I sent them to him, he prepared a herbal medicine (CURE) and sent it through Courier Service for delivery, the Courier Office told me that 5-7 days I will receive the package and after receiving it, I took the medicine as prescribed by him at the end of one month, he told me to go to the hospital for a check up, and I went, surprisingly after the test the doctor confirm me Herpes simplex virus negative, I thought it was a joke, I went to other hospital and was also negative, that was how my herpes disappeared, I will never stop to thank you for saving my life, I promise I will always testify of your good works. if you are herpes simplex virus patient, contact him and you will be cured permanently, contact him via: drinibokuspelltemple@gmail.com. or drinibokuherbalhome@gmail.com and you can also message him via whatsApp/call +2347059186346. THESE ARE THE THINGS DR. INIBOKU  DOES.. HERPES. CANCER. DIABATES. COPD. HIV/AIDS https://www.facebook.com/driniboku/

    ReplyDelete
  11. Weeping may endure for a night but joy cometh in the morning. Keep saving lives with your roots and herbs Dr Ogudugu on YouTube herbal medicine

    ReplyDelete