Tuesday, October 28, 2014

The Butterfly

I have already posted about the execution of Jefferson and on the disrespect that Grant receives in A Lesson before Dying. These pots leaned more towards the emotionally draining aspects of the novel that make the reader reflect on the racism that inhabits this world and the ability to overcome that oppression. With this post, I would like to draw your attention towards a scene near the end of the book that, while containing heavy emotions, creates an uplifting image among the anguish of the final pages. This small scene may appear innocuous at first, but it contains a lot of symbolism for the novel and for Gaines himself.

In the final pages, Grant leaves his students praying for Jefferson in the schoolhouse and goes outside to meditate about what is happening downtown and awaiting news on Jefferson's execution. Grant says:
Several feet away from where I sat under the tree was a hill of bull grass. I doubted that I had looked at it once in all the time that I had been sitting there. I probably would not have noticed it at all had a butterfly, a yellow butterfly with dark specks like in dots on its wings, not lit there. What had brought it there? There was no odor that i could detect to have attracted it. There were other places where it could have rested--there was the wire fence on either side of the road, there were flowers just a short distance away in [Henri] Pichot's yard--so why did it light on a hill of bull grass that offered it nothing? I watched it closely, the way it opened its wings again, fluttered, closed its wings for a second or two, then opened them again and flew away. I watched it fly over the ditch and down into the quarter, I watched it until I could not see it anymore. (251-252)
Butterflies symbolize rebirth and resurrection, and immediately after describing the butterfly resting of "a hill of bull grass," Grant simply says, "Yes, I told myself. It is finally over" (252). The butterfly symbolizes Jefferson, after death, and his release from the oppressive society that ultimately killed him for simply being black. It also symbolizes a sort of unification between Grant and Jefferson. The butterfly finds Grant and perches itself next to him instead of a "wire fence" or across the road. Throughout the novel, Grant intones that instead of Jefferson sitting in a jail cell awaiting execution it could have just as easily been him.

While the butterfly plays an important role in the novel, this scene also plays an important role to Gaines personally as well. Walking through the sugar cane fields around River Lake Plantation with his wife, he showed her the cemetery where his ancestors and the community he left are buried. The cemetery, as I have explained before, is an important reservoir for Gaines. Gaines' Aunt Augesteen Jefferson is interred there; however, he does not know where she resides because there is no headstone to mark her grave. Gaines' aunt, as he has said repeatedly throughout his life, raised him till he left for California and inspired him tremendously. She could not walk, so she crawled everywhere. She did everything herself, and people would come to her house and sit on the porch an talk, and talk, and talk.

As they walked through the cemetery, Gaines and his wife noticed a butterfly that kept perching itself in a certain place. It would fly away then return. Upon seeing this, Dianne suggested that the butterfly kept alighting on that specific spot because that is where Gaines' aunt is buried. Eventually, Gaines retrieved a camera he had and took a picture of the butterfly. When working on This Louisiana Thing That Drives Me with Dr. Marcia Gaudet, Dr. Reggie Young, and Dr. Wiley Cash, the picture he took of the butterfly was the one picture he wanted in the book. It concludes the books and is displayed with the paragraph above from A Lesson before Dying.  

Gaines, Ernest J. A Lesson before Dying. New York: Vintage Books, 1993. Print. 

5 comments:

  1. I got diagnose of herpes virus last year, and i was taking some drugs prescribed for me by my family doc the drugs could not work and the herpes in my system was very terrifying that i was so depressed the good news is that i never gave up in searching for natural cure for herpes virus ,cause i believe so much in herbal medication.. One faithful morning i read a comment from a lady called Destiny Hudson on how she was cured with natural herbs made by DR.OYAGU from somewhere is West Africa, i immediately copied out his contact email via oyaguherbalhome@gmail.com and explain all my herpes problem to him via his email. the big truth is that it took just two week for his herbal medication to cure me completely without side affect. Till date am herpes virus free and all thanks to Dr OYAGU for his good deeds for me, Once again am very happy to share this great testimony of DR OYAGU cure hurry up now and contact him via his email address (oyaguherbalhome@gmail.com Call & WhatsApp him on (+2348101755322 ) and see what he can do

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey everyone I never believed in herbal cure, & i have spend lot of money and time in trying to get drugs from the hospital/clinic to get cured of my Herpes virus which i suffered from for Two(2) years and i was tired of (  Val acyclovir ) drugs, herpes is a serious and recurring disease which can't be cured through drugs or injections by the American doctors but the best way to deal with herpes is by taking natural herbs medicine for it and is only few American doctors that know about this herbal medicine .. I have read about Dr.Igberafu the great herbalist doctor from Africa who can cure disease with his powerful herbs made with different combinations of natural roots, leaves and steams. for the people suffering from the following diseases, Herpes, Cancer, Als, Hepatitis, Diabetes, HPV, Infertility Infections ETC should contact him for his herbal medicine because I am a living testimony and I was cured of herpes. Although, I sent him what he requested and he sent me his herbal medicine which I took for 2 weeks and today when I went for a test I was tested for herpes negative. you can reach him through his email drigberafucaregiver@gmail.com or whatsapp number: +23470 57881342 / Phone +23470 57881342

    ReplyDelete
  3. We must be ready to face our problems and find solution to them 7 months i was diagnosed with herpes and I was lonely and sad I wanted to be healed and did all I could but I could not be healed luckily a friend of mine directed me to a very kind and great DR Alli who helped me and health have been restored thank you so much DR Alli Email him via Allispellhelp1@gmail.com or whatsApp him on +2348100772528 you are a blessing to me.
    HE CAN ALSO CURE SICKNESS LIKE
    {1} Espergers
    {2] Hepatitis b
    {3} HIV/AIDS
    {4} DIABETES
    {5} EPILEPSY
    {6} BLOOD CANCER
    {7} HPV
    {8} ALS

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cure herpes forever.. with herbal product…

    The best online i have seen…

    Thanks to robinsonbuckler@yahoo. com.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Robinson Buckler mailed herbal medication to me along with the prescriptions it cured me from herpes.. For More Info on how to get cured Contact him now on EMAIL ……………. Robinson.buckler (@) yahoo. com______________________________ 🙏🙏🙏

    ReplyDelete