Thursday, April 2, 2015

"Dirt" in James Baldwin's "Go Tell It On the Mountain"


Writing about James Baldwin's, Charles Scruggs notes that "[n]o Afro-American writer in modern literature conveys better the sense of menace lying in wait in the urban streets 'outside.' Word such as 'menacing,' 'dreadful,' and 'unspeakable' are Baldwin's choices for describing those streets" (147). Later, Scruggs points out that for Baldwin "[s]mall, intimate spaces" take the place of "sacred space" within the city (147). This is where I would like to spend today's post, on Baldwin's description of those "small, intimate spaces," specifically the apartment of the Grimes family in Go Tell It On The Mountain.

As he wakes out of a bleary sleep on his birthday in 1935, John thinks about whether or not anyone will remember his birthday as he stares at "a yellow stain on the ceiling just above his head" that eventually transforms "into a woman's nakedness" (18). The stain becomes something that causes John to sin, making him feel guilty. The dinginess of the stain makes one think of Bigger Thomas's apartment in Native Son or of Gwendolyn Brooks's poem "Kitchenette Building." For me, the narrator's later descriptions of the apartment and the suffocating dirt that inhabits it. The use of "dirt" reminds me, of course, of Gaines's implementation of "dust" and "dirt" as an oppressive and stifling force in Of Love and Dust. In Baldwin's novel, "dirt" appears in the same way; however, instead of being outside in the fields, the "dirt" becomes a presences within the confines of the small apartment.

John must clean the constricting apartment, dusting and sweeping its interior. The cramped apartment served as a breeding ground for roaches, and it could never become clean. "Dirt was in the walls and floorboards," the narrator says (21). When John begins cleaning, he discovers that no matter how hard he tries, the apartment will never be rid of the "dirt."
Dirt was in every corner, angle, crevice of the monstrous stove, and lived behind it in delirious communion with the corrupted wall. Dirt was in the baseboard that John scrubbed every Saturday, and roughened the cupboard shelves that held the cracked and gleaming dishes. Under this dark weight the walls leaned, under it the ceiling, with a great crack like lightening in its center, sagged. The windows gleamed like beaten gold and silver, but now John saw, in the yellow light, how fine dust veiled their doubtful glory. Dirt crawled in the gray mop hung out of the windows to dry. John thought with shame and horror, yet in angry hardness of heart: He who is filthy, let him be filthy still. (22)
Within this section of a paragraph, "dirt" and "dust" appear four times. "Dirt" occupies the space, causing it to become a disheveled, oppressive space that does not even allow the light from outside to penetrate its darkness. Maintaining its constriction on the apartment, the "dirt" even takes on animalistic characteristics. It "crawled" into the mop and "veiled" the beauty of the light. These words connote something sinister that the "dirt" represents.

Later, the cleaning of the apartment becomes akin to Sisyphus continually rolling the boulder up the hill only to have it pushed back down for all eternity. Sweeping the carpet, "dust rose, clogging [John's] nose and sticking to his sweaty skin, and he felt that should he sweep it forever, the clouds of dust would not diminish, the rug would not be clean" (26). No matter how much John swept and cleaned the rug or the apartment, the dust remained, clogging every crevice and creeping into the implements whose sole purpose was the clean the apartment.

Scruggs views John's cleaning of the apartment as "a metaphor for Gabriel's morally untidy life, and John's pointless labor illustrates the circles of deception and self-deception which surround the father's authority" (151). I agree with Scruggs on this point, but I also see the "dirt" as a physical contagion that entraps not just John and his family but an entire community in a space of subjugation and oppression. It clogs their pours, in much the same way that the "dust" in Gaines's novel swirls, blisteringly around the characters causing them to seek shelter. Unlike Gaines's characters, the Grimeses cannot go inside to escape the "dust"; when they retreat inside, they encounter the "dirt" all around them.


More can, and should be said about this. What are your thoughts? If you recall, during John's passing through at the end of the novel, he feels like his mouth is filled with "dirt" and he can't breathe. What role does "dirt" play in this instance? What are some other places within Go Tell It On the Mountain or other Baldwin texts where "dirt" or other elements work as symbols of oppression?

Baldwin, James. Go Tell it On the Mountain. New York: Dell, 1985.
Scruggs, Charles. Sweet Home: Invisible Cities in the Afro-American Novel. Baltimore: John Hopkins University Press, 1993. Print.

20 comments:

  1. I got diagnose of herpes virus last year, and i was taking some drugs prescribed for me by my family doc the drugs could not work and the herpes in my system was very terrifying that i was so depressed the good news is that i never gave up in searching for natural cure for herpes virus ,cause i believe so much in herbal medication.. One faithful morning i read a comment from a lady called Destiny Hudson on how she was cured with natural herbs made by DR.OYAGU from somewhere is West Africa, i immediately copied out his contact email via oyaguherbalhome@gmail.com and explain all my herpes problem to him via his email. the big truth is that it took just two week for his herbal medication to cure me completely without side affect. Till date am herpes virus free and all thanks to Dr OYAGU for his good deeds for me, Once again am very happy to share this great testimony of DR OYAGU cure hurry up now and contact him via his email address (oyaguherbalhome@gmail.com Call & WhatsApp him on (+2348101755322 ) and see what he can do

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was cured of CANCER with the used of natural herbs. I love herbs so much. Most times, injection and drugs are just a waste of time. I was cured 8 months ago, i suffered from CANCER for 3 yrs but with the help of Dr. JOSHUA herbal medicine, i was cured within few weeks of drinking the herbs he sent to me through courier delivery service. This same doctor also cured my Aunty from FIBROID, as soon as i heard she had FIBROID, i quickly refer her to Dr. JOSHUA and she was cured too after drinking his herbs. I have referred more than 15 persons to Dr. JOSHUA and they were all cured from their various illness. Have you taken herbs before?. You have spent so much money on drugs, injections, surgeries etc and yet you have no good result to show for it. Contact Dr. JOSHUA now, he is a herbalist doctor, i assured you of a cure if you drink his natural herbs. Dr. JOSHUA have herbs that cures Hiv Herpes, diabetics, asthma, hepatitis, HBP, STD, cancer, chronic, etc. Contact Dr JOSHUA through his Email address on: {dr.joshuaherbalhome6@gmail.com} or whatsapp him on +2347048515927 Please share the good news to other people once you are cured

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't have time beating around the bush, instead I go straight to the point.... So to you doubters I ain't expecting you all to believe my testimony but only the few chosen ones by God. In a short summary, I'm here to tell the whole world that I recently got cured from my long term herpes disease, both the HSV1 and HSV2 through the assistance of Herbalist doctor Oyagu I pray God continually blesses Dr Oyagu in all he does, because he is indeed a very good, nice and powerful doctor. I’m cured of herpes disease at last! Wow I'm so much in great joy because I've never in my life believed herbs works, but meeting doctor Oyagu was an eye opener and he made me believe that herpes truly got a complete cure. I used the doctor's herbal medicine for just two weeks and I was totally cured from both my HSV1 and HSV2. I'm so excited. For help and assistance in getting rid of your herpes virus you can Call/WhatsApp doctor Oyagu on his telephone number: +2348101755322 or for more inquiries you can as well contact the doctor on EMAIL: oyaguherbalhome@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey everyone I never believed in herbal cure, & i have spend lot of money and time in trying to get drugs from the hospital/clinic to get cured of my Herpes virus which i suffered from for Two(2) years and i was tired of (  Val acyclovir ) drugs, herpes is a serious and recurring disease which can't be cured through drugs or injections by the American doctors but the best way to deal with herpes is by taking natural herbs medicine for it and is only few American doctors that know about this herbal medicine .. I have read about Dr.Igberafu the great herbalist doctor from Africa who can cure disease with his powerful herbs made with different combinations of natural roots, leaves and steams. for the people suffering from the following diseases, Herpes, Cancer, Als, Hepatitis, Diabetes, HPV, Infertility Infections ETC should contact him for his herbal medicine because I am a living testimony and I was cured of herpes. Although, I sent him what he requested and he sent me his herbal medicine which I took for 2 weeks and today when I went for a test I was tested for herpes negative. you can reach him through his email drigberafucaregiver@gmail.com or whatsapp number: +23470 57881342 / Phone +23470 57881342

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have been suffering from Herpes for the past 3 years and 8 months, and ever since then i have been taking series of treatment but there was no improvement until i came across testimonies of Dr.Aza on how he has been curing different people from different diseases all over the world, then i contacted him as well. After our conversation he sent me the medicine which I took according to his instructions. When i was done taking the herbal medicine i went for a medical checkup and to my greatest surprise i was cured from Herpes. My heart is so filled with joy. If you are suffering from Herpes or any other disease you can contact Dr.Aza today on this Email address:drazaherbalcenter@gmail.com or WhatsApp him on this Tell.Number +1(315)7951518

    ReplyDelete
  6. Being Herpes Patient can be one of the most difficult experiences you go through in life. You may feel scared, sad or even angry – this is OK, and a completely natural part of coping with something that can be life changing.
    It will probably take a while for the news to sink in. My name is Janey cooker and i am from the United States, I remember spending so much money buying drugs from hospitals hoping that I will be cured from HERPES INFECTION, but all to no avail. I contacted so many doctors and they prescribe medicine for me which they indeed tried their best but was unable to provide for me a possible cure, luckily i saw a comment about a herbal doctor, (Oyama) am always forever grateful after using his herbal medicine i was cured from herpes if you are out there kindly reach him WhatsApp or email +2348108264684 droyamasolutiontemple@gmail.com
    He has the remedy to cure, Diabetes Cancer Autism COPD ALS Hepatitis HPV HIV/AIDS Pregnancy Infertility/Fertility Fibroid Contact him for All kind of STD/STI He all Restore Your Health.

    ReplyDelete
  7. HOW I GOT RID OF HERPES VIRUS WITH DR.ISHIAKU HERBS

    I want to inform the public how I was cured of herpes simplex Virus by a herbal Dr called  ISHIAKU. I visited different hospitals but they gave me a list of drugs like Famvir, Zovirax, and Valtrex which are very expensive to treat the symptoms and never cured me. I was browsing through the Internet searching for remedies on Herpes and I saw comments of people talking about how dr ishiaku cured them. I Was scared because I never believed in the Internet but I was convinced to give him a try because I had no hope of being cured of herpes so I decided to contact him on his email, i searched his email on the net and I saw a lot of people testifying about his goodness. When I contacted him he gave me hope and sent a Herbal medicine to me that I took and it seriously worked for me, am a free person now without any problems, my HERPES result came out negative. You can contact him on his what - sapp him via (+2348180828544) or email ishiakuherbalcure@yahoo.com and get all your problems solved.
    1)Sickness of any kind
    2)Help to cure  HEPATITIS B, DIABETICS, HIV
    3)Marriage problem, To Re-unit or cast a spell
    4)Pregnancy problem
    5)Financial problem
    6)bad mouth odour or tooth problem
    7)eye & ear problem
    8)peniX enlargement

    Visit his website for more information
    www.ishiakuherbalcure.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am completely cured from Herpes with no side effects all thanks to Dr Akhigbe for his herbal medication. If you have any issue you can contact him. There is no harm in trying herbs. drakhigbeherbalhome5@gmail.com  you can also add him on whatsapp +2349021374574 .

    ReplyDelete
  9. I diagnose with hpv virus for 3years my boyfriend broke up with me because i contracted the virus luckily i found a herbalist name Dr Osebor everyone testify good work of his natural treatment i picked up his number and contacted him. He truly treated me with natural herbs in 11 days and i got cured. I share this post because ever since i got this treatment I'm perfectly OK with my health.contact him on email oseborwinbacktemple@gmail.com call or WhatsApp
    him too: +2348073245515:

    ReplyDelete
  10. I was so surprised when I was told that my Herpes result is negative. Last year in July I was infected with Herpes with no solution, I was unable to work and also losing lots of money for medication, but one faithful day when I went online, I saw lots of testimonies about this great man Dr Akhigbe i contacted him and he gave me his trust and cured me with his herbal medicine. you all might need his help. He has cures for other deadly diseases like Diabetes, Hepatitis, Lupus, Cancer, ALS and many more..contact Dr Akhigbe on his whatsApp number: +2349021374574 because he has a solution to your problems. Email drakhigbeherbalhome5@gmail.com.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This herbal Doctor cured me from herpes virus through herbal means...

    certainly the best online...

    Thank you!! Very well!

    Email:Robinsonbuckler@yahoo.com…………………

    ReplyDelete
  12. All thanks belong to Dr Osato, the great herbal man that cured me from HERPES. I got diagnosed 7 months ago and I was desperately looking for a possible way to get this virus out of my body because I believe there is a cure somewhere. I keep searching until i saw people's testimony about Dr Osato recommendation online for how he has being curing HERPES with his herbs and i emailed him and tell him my problem and he prepare my cure and send it to me through UPS and gave me instructions on how to use the herbal medicine and behold after usage i went to the hospital for checkup and the result was Negative and the symptoms of herpes was completely gone from my body. You can contact Dr Osato to get your herbs too and cure yourself from this horrible virus. His email is osatoherbalcure@gmail.com or through WhatsApp +2347051705853. His website is https://osatoherbalcure.wordpress.com. Dr Osato cures so many different types of diseases/viruses with his herbs such as HERPES, HIV/AIDS, CANCER of all kinds, HSV 1&2, DIABETES, HPV and so many more. I want to thank God for using Dr Osato to cure me from genital herpes. 

    ReplyDelete
  13. I was too curious and wanted to try Robinson buckler then i contacted him through his email, he assured me 100% that he will heal me, i pleaded with him to help me out. My experience with him was great, he cured me just as he promised. he sent me his medication and ask me to go for a medical check up after two weeks of usage. i agreed with him i took this medication and went for a check up, to my greatest surprise my result was negative, i am really happy that i am cured and healthy again. I have waited for 3 weeks to be very sure i was completely healed before writing this testimony. I did another blood test one week ago and it was still Herpes negative. so i guess its time i recommend anyone going through herpes. reach him through his email address: Robinson.buckler @{{ yahoo }}. com.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hello everyone, Dr UMA Herbs, is a good remedy for herpes Virus , I was a carrier of herpes virus and I saw a testimony on how Dr UMA cure Herpes Virus, I decided to contact him, I contacted him and he guided me. I asked him for solutions and he started the remedies for my health. After he finish he sent me the herbs which i took for 2 weeks before asking me to go for a check up and getting there i could not believe that i was confirmed HSV 2 Negative after the test, Today i am so happy because i'm free from herpes disease with the help of Dr UMA, Thank God now everything is fine, I'm cured by Dr UMA herbal medicine, I'm very thankful to God for making it possible. you can reach him on his email, Dr.umaherbalcenter@gmail.com,I strongly recommend him to any one out here looking for a cure.call or whatsApp him on +2347035619585.

    ReplyDelete

  15. I was cured of HSV with the use of natural herbs. I love herbs so much. Most times, injections and drugs are just a waste of time. I suffered from HSV for 1yrs but with the help of Dr. Raphael herbal medicine, I was cured within a Two weeks of drinking the herbs he sent to me through UPS courier delivery service. Have you taken herbs before?. If you have spent so much money on drugs,injections,surgeries etc and yet you have no good result to show for it. Contact Dr. Raphael now, he is a herbalist doctor, I assure you of a cure if you drink his natural herbs. Dr. Raphael has herbs that cure Hiv, Herpes, diabetes, asthma, hepatitis, HBP, STD, cancer, chronic, etc. Why don’t you contact Dr. Raphael through Email:: raphaelherbalmedicine@gmail.com Or What'sApp:: +2349043645700

    ReplyDelete
  16. Weeping may endure for a night but joy cometh in the morning. Keep saving lives with your roots and herbs Dr Ogudugu on YouTube herbal medicine

    ReplyDelete
  17. The world is astonished by the rate of poverty all over the globe, therefore Axis Capital Holdings Company is offering a loan to individual, Group of person's and companies with 2% interest rate. Email for more details axiscapitalholdings@mail.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. The world is astonished by the rate of poverty all over the globe, therefore Axis Capital Holdings Company is offering a loan to individual, Group of person's and companies with 2% interest rate. Email for more details:
    axiscapitalholdings@mail.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. Please fill out the prospective tenant questionnaire.

    1. Full Name:
    2. Current location:
    3. Occupation:
    4. Age:
    5. Sex:
    6. Mobile no:
    7. Do you have a pet (Describe):
    8. What is your monthly income:
    9. Marital Status:
    10. Email:
    11. How many people will be living in the APT:
    12. Intended Length of lease:
    13. Reference Contact Name and Address:
    14. Intended Move in Date(exact):
    15. Are you Co-signing the lease :
    16. Reason for searching for an APT:
    17. Have you ever been charged/Arrested:
    18. What is your credit score:
    19. Do you intend to hold this unit now(Make reservations): Yes/No

    Thanks,
    Perez Albert

    ReplyDelete
  20. Robinson Buckler mailed herbal medication to me along with the prescriptions it cured me from herpes.. For More Info on how to get cured Contact him now on EMAIL ……………. Robinson.buckler (@) yahoo. com______________________________ 🙏🙏🙏

    ReplyDelete